Today on Two Minute Top Tens!
Cool Solar system facts!
- The hottest planet isn’t closest to the sun. Even though Mercury is closer, Venus is hotter due to it’s thick carbon dioxide atmosphere.
- Jupiter is called a gas giant because it lacks a solid surface and is made primarily of gas. Funny, my wife says the same thing about me!
- The sun is so large you can fit not one, not two, not even three or four, but over 1 million earths inside it.
- Astronauts in orbit around earth can’t cry. The teary eyed fly boys tell us that the tears don’t fall of your eyeball. They just kind of stay there.
- Winds on Saturn, another gas giant, have been measured at over 1100 miles an hour. Don’t open your umbrella!
- a total of five planets are visible to the naked eye. Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn.
- Saturn’s moon, Mymas, looks like the death star. That’s a watermelon, and a pumpkin, that’s pollen.
- The great red spot on Jupiter, is a hurricane so large you could fit the earth in it several times, but its’ shrinking.
- there are over a 140 known moons in our solar system…
- The nearest star Proxima Centauri, is over 4 light years away. To understand scale if the sun was a grapefruit in Washington dc, Proxima Centauri would be a cherry in California.
Thanks for watching! Don’t forget to hit the like button! And feel free to check out our other videos! See ya!
Creative Commons Attributions:
By Merlin2525 [CC0], via Wikimedia Commons
“VenusCelestia” by Blobbie244 – Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons – https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:VenusCelestia.png#/media/File:VenusCelestia.png
“3D Jupiter” by Jcpag2012 – Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0 via Wikimedia Commons – https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:3D_Jupiter.png#/media/File:3D_Jupiter.png
“Celestia sun” by charles – Own work (Screenshot). Licensed under Public Domain via Wikimedia Commons – https:/commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Celestia_sun.jpg#/media/File:Celestia_sun.jpg
Death Star Watermelon
By Joi Ito from Cambridge, MA, USA (Death Watermelon) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)%5D, via Wikimedia Commons
“FullMoon2010” by Gregory H. Revera – Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons – https:/commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:FullMoon2010.jpg#/media/File:FullMoon2010.jpg
Great Red Spot:
By NASA (http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA00014) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
Unfortunately I lost some of the attribution information. If you own an image shown in this video and would like to be credited please let us know so that we can do so! Thanks!